Colombia has been reborn from years of conflict due to narcoterrorism and illegal militias. Colombia stands firmly in search of new economies such as tourism.
That is why we can see that during 2010 we received 2.6 million foreign tourists, but in 2018 we received 6.5 million foreign tourists. This represents an increase of 150% in less than 10 years.
Here are 5 reasons why it’s not dangerous to travel to Colombia:
Peace Agreements between the Colombian Government and the FARC
In 2016, the Colombian Government and FARC (Extreme insurgent and terrorist organization in Colombia) signed peace agreements ending a 50-year conflict. Because of this agreement, President Juan Manuel Santos received the Nobel Peace Prize that same year.
International recognition of the tourism sector of Colombia
- The New York Times included Colombia in its famous list “52 Places to go in 2018”, as one of the places to visit, highlighting its hotels, natural paradises, biodiversity, and treasures.
- In 2017, Lonely Planet awarded Colombia second place in their ‘Best in Travel 2017: Top 10 countries’ article.
- Trip Advisor included the Gold Museum in Bogota as one of the 25 best museums in the world.
- The World Travel Awards recognized Colombia as the best tourist destination in South America for the LGBT Community. In addition, Cartagena won as the tourist destination of South America for honeymoons.
- TIME Magazine included two Colombian restaurants among the 100 best restaurants in the world. Leo, by chef Leonor Espinosa, and the “Interno”, in San Diego Cartagena prison.
- Colombia is the champion of eBird’s Global Big Day (A bird spotting event to support conservation) with 1,546 species of registered birds, Colombia is called “The country of the birds” because it has the greatest diversity of birds in the world.
- Many investors believe in Colombia as a nation with great growth potential for their businesses in the region. That is why multinational companies such as Amazon, Mercedes Benz, Furukawa, Stanley Black & Decker, and Johnson & Johnson have decided to set up their business in Colombia, due to its strategic geographical location, quality workforce, favorable commercial environment, access to diversity and growing markets.
Colombians love tourists
- The rise of tourism to Colombia has allowed a whole country to rise and smile with the heart to whoever decides to visit our lands. We, Colombians are passionate about helping and making our culture known, so you will always find someone who will give you help, guide you and show you the best of our roots. In addition, we love if you travel with your family as well.
Health services, vaccines, and water
- Colombia has one of the best health systems in all of America, has state-of-the-art hospitals, medical standards are quite rigorous, affordable and have a high quality of care.
- The vaccinations you need depend on the places you go to visit, but basically, you do not need any unless you visit the Amazon region.
- You do not have to worry about loading your water bottle, the water in Colombia is completely drinkable and you can take it directly from the faucet.
Many travelers and investors have believed in Colombia, now it is time for you to discover why millions of people want to discover this magical destination.
We invite you to be part of a new magical experience in which the geographical diversity, human warmth, wide cultural offer full of flavors, aromas, and sounds are at the forefront of your experience; And it’s further proof that the advances in infrastructure and the increase in foreign investment put Colombia in the sights of the world.
In addition, the country has things for all tastes: from beautiful beaches such as the Tayrona National Park, to heritage villages such as Barichara and magical places like Caño Cristales, the most beautiful river in the world. Passing through the mountains of the three mountain ranges and the charm of the landscape make it worth knowing every corner of the country.
There are still many problems to solve and you should still take the necessary precautions should have when traveling anywhere in the world. But, that should not stop you from having an amazing and magical travel experience in Colombia.